The NAREEE Advisory Board is statutorily required to have fifteen appointed members from the following categories:
3 members representing National Farm or Producer Organizations, which may include members:
- representing farm cooperatives;
- who are a food animal commodity producer recommended by a national livestock organization;
- who are a plant commodity producer recommended by a national crop organization; or
- who are an aquaculture producer recommended by a national aquaculture organization.
2 members representing Academic or Research Societies, which may include members representing:
- national food animal science society;
- national crop, soil, agronomy, horticulture, plant pathology, or weed science society;
- national food science organization;
- national human health association; or
- national nutritional science society.
5 members representing Agricultural Research, Extension, and Education, which shall include each of the following:
- 1 member representing the 1862 land-grant colleges and universities.
- 1 member representing the 1890 land-grant colleges and universities, including Tuskegee University.
- 1 member representing the 1994 Equity in Education land-grant institution
- 1 member representing non-land grant colleges of agriculture (NLGCA) institutions or Hispanic-serving institutions.
- 1 member representing American colleges of veterinary medicine.
5 members representing Industry, Consumer, or Rural Interests, which may include members representing:
- transportation of food and agricultural products to domestic and foreign markets;
- food retailing and marketing interests;
- food and fiber processors;
- rural economic development interests;
- a national consumer interest group;
- a national forestry group;
- a national conservation or natural resource group;
- a national social science association;
- private sector organizations involved in international development; or
- a national association of agricultural economists.