The National Agricultural Research, Extension, Education and Economics (NAREEE) Advisory Board is comprised of 15 members (and 6 ex-officio members) who represent the views of various stakeholder groups. Each member represents a specific organizational affiliation, which assures balanced and broad membership on the Board. Membership categories include:
- farming or ranching;
- food production and processing;
- forestry research;
- crop and animal sciences;
- land-grant institutions;
- non-land-grant college or university with a historic commitment to research in the food and agricultural sciences;
- food retailing and marketing;
- rural economic development;
- and natural resources and consumer interest groups, among others.
The Secretary of Agriculture appoints individuals from a pool of nominations that are submitted by organizations, associations, societies, councils, federations, groups, and companies that fit the category criteria. Members serve terms for up to 3 years, with one-third of the Board positions (approximately 8 category slots) expiring each fiscal year.
Advisory Board Duties
The 15 members on the NAREEE Advisory Board:
- review and provide consultation to the Secretary and to land-grant colleges and universities on long- and short-term research, extension, education, and economic priorities in food, fiber, and agriculture; and
- provide consultation to the U.S. House and Senate agriculture and appropriations committees/subcommittees.
The Board evaluates the results and effectiveness of agricultural research, extension, education, and economic activities regarding policies and priorities, as well as the adequacy of funding for these activities on an annual basis and submits the final recommendations to the Secretary and Congress.
How to Apply for Board Membership
A nomination letter and/or endorsement letter(s) for a candidate may be submitted by a Senator or Representative, or by personnel at any institution, organization, company, other group, or individual (including the applicant). The nomination letter must indicate the category or categories for which an individual is being nominated. Individuals desiring to be considered for an appointment to the NAREEE Advisory Board must submit a completed Form AD-755, "Advisory Committee Membership Background Information." Nominations are open to all regardless of race, color, sex, national origin, age, mental or physical handicap, marital status, or sexual orientation.